Full Bore

Fall. It's my favorite season. Life is in full bore. I'm rushing around trying to get things done We all are. Here's one of my chores.



Four and a half cords mas o menos. Been doing this since we moved here 18 years ago. It's just my wife and me and the log splitter. I rent from Quick Lift Rentals in Weare across from the Three Corners. Great outfit. He always says "Nice trading with you," when I return the splitter and am headed out the door. Once he sold me a chain saw that didn't work and he took it back and refunded me the money no questions asked. Now he has his son working in the shop repairing mowers and tractors. His son Kyle is a huge guy with tattoos and green eyes and arms dripping with sweat and grease and life force literally. He's as nice and gentle as his father, Dennis. They keep their stuff running great.

We've got sheep fattening in the field that need to be moved up to the barn, but the barn needs to be cleaned out, but the garden needs to be weeded and beds mulched with the rest of the last year's compost before the barn can get mucked out. That kind of thing. Knotty like pine wood or life itself

We get caught up in the rush and for some it can be too much. Especially kids feel the strain, and when they think about it, all the push seems frenetic and pointless. It's just the way life is. We are here for a short time and sometimes the dance takes us over and those are the times that I love.

At dinner tonight my daughter said we had to go around and say one good thing and one bad thing that happened this week. She called it the Rose and Thorn, like some kind of game. Here's my good moment.

That's the start of the freshman girls race at the Manchester Invitational at Derryfield Park yesterday. It was a brisk morning, and the field was muddy -- water running in rivulets in the sod from all the recent rain. Grace doesn't like me to get too invested, but I do run around like crazy cheering on all the runners. She did fine. It's her first year of it and it's a long haul to get fit and strong, as I remember from my high school days doing the cross country thing. It's hard work. Like life. It fills you up. It's an acquired taste like any deferred expectation that pays off sometimes only in retrospect.

Comments

Popular Posts